- WEB EXCLUSIVE
- PE COFFEEHAUS
According to an agency release, to date, there have been 1,587 sites listed on the NPL. Of these sites, 329 sites have been deleted, resulting in 1,258 sites currently on the NPL. With the proposal of the 11 new sites, there are 64 proposed sites awaiting final agency action: 58 in the general Superfund section and six in the federal facilities section. There are a total of 1,322 final and proposed sites.
Contaminants found at the final and proposed sites include arsenic, asbestos, cadmium, chromium, copper, cyanide, lead, mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), selenium, silver, sulfuric acid, tetrachloroethene (PCE), trichloroethane (TCA), trichloroethene (TCE), vinyl chloride, and zinc.
The agency is withdrawing the proposal to add the Kennecott (South Zone) site in Copperton, Utah, to the NPL because all cleanup projects have been completed and no further EPA actions are needed, according to the release.
The following six sites have been added to the National Priorities List:
- Iron King Mine – Humboldt Smelter (Dewey-Humboldt, Ariz.)
- Nelson Tunnel/Commodore Waste Rock (Creede, Colo.)
- Flash Cleaners (Pompano Beach, Fla.)
- Aberdeen Contaminated Ground Water (Aberdeen, N.C.)
- East Troy Contaminated Aquifer (Troy, Ohio)
- Old Esco Manufacturing (Greenville, Texas)
- B. F. Goodrich (Rialto, Calif.)
- Raleigh Street Dump (Tampa, Fla.)
- Arkla Terra Property (Thonotosassa, Fla.)
- U.S. Smelter and Lead Refinery, Inc. (East Chicago, Ind.)
- Fort Detrick Area B Ground Water (Frederick, Md.)
- Curtis Papers, Inc. (Milford, N.J.)
- Behr Dayton Thermal System VOC Plume (Dayton, Ohio)
- New Carlisle Landfill (New Carlisle, Ohio)
- Borit Asbestos Tailings Pile (Ambler, Pa.)
- Barite Hill/Nevada Goldfields (McCormick, S.C.)
- U.S. Magnesium (Tooele County, Utah)